Questions to ask ALL your vendors before booking:
1. How long have you been working in weddings?
2. Can I see a portfolio of your work and read reviews?
3. Are you registered with the state?
4. Do you have liability insurance?
5. What deposit do you require?
6. When is your final payment due?
7. What is your cancellation policy?
8. What is your postponement policy?
9. How are you handling COVID day of, during the day of, etc?
10. What forms of payment do you accept? Any fees associated with any of those payments?
11. Are you able to work with my budget?
12. What can I do to make this a smooth and successful experience for everyone?
13. What form of communication works best for you? (Email, phone, text etc)
14. If a tree falls on your head and you are not able to work my wedding, what is your back up plan?
Questions to ask your VENUE:
1. Am I able to choose my own vendors, or do you have a preferred list of vendors I need to choose from. If you have a preferred list, are there fees associated with choosing vendors that are NOT on the list?
2. Am I able to bring in my own food or desserts or do I need to use a licensed caterer?
3. What rentals are included in the rental price? (Chairs, tables, linens, etc)
4. Are there set up or room flip fees?
5. Are there limits to the alcohol we can consume? Can we have a full bar or only beer and wine?
6. Are there music/noise restrictions? (Some noise laws require music to be off at 10)
7. How many hours is the rental for? Does that include set up and clean up time? How much is it to add on additional hours?
8. What is the parking situation for guests?
9. Are there areas for the wedding party to get ready? If so, what is the earliest we can arrive?
10. Do you require clients to provide additional liability insurance?
11. How can I get the rental price reduced? (always ask the question)
12. What decor limitations/rules are there? (Can things be hung, taped, etc)
13. How many guests can this venue COMFORTABLY fit? Is that for a sit down reception or cocktail style reception?
14. Do you have public wifi access? (this is important for DJ's)
15. Are there additional fees for my vendors? Do they pay you a fee for working here?
16. For those of you who are booking a venue in a state with a sales tax, ask the venue coordinator what services/goods will be taxed. Clarify what the tax rate is.
17. Ask the venue coordinator what their role is? Do they decorate the space for you?
18. If this is an outside venue, ask what the rain/bad weather plan is? Does that work for your estimated guest count? What additional charges does that entail.(Cost of tent rentals etc)
19. What is the most common complaint of your customers? (This is a good question to get some honest insight)
20. What is your postponement/cancellation policy?
Questions to ask your PHOTOGRAPHER:
1. Have you shot at my venue? What did you love? What was challenging?
2. Do you bring a second shooter? Is there an option to add an additional shooter - even for a few hours?
3. Are your packages flexible? Can we work to create a customized package?
4. What is your turnaround time? When can I expect my images?
5. Do you work from a shot list or do you shoot more organically?
6. Am I able to request a specific shot/pose?
7. Should a tree fall on your head, what is your back up plan?
8. What is your refund policy should you not be able to shoot my wedding or should the wedding be cancelled or postponed?
9. Approximately how many images should I expect to receive?
10. How much post production editing do you guys do?
11. What is a "perfect" wedding for you to shoot?
12. What can I do to ensure we have amazing pictures?
13. How do you work with a videographer? If so, what are their recommendations?
14. If we run late on time, and need to extend your hours day of, is that possible? What are the costs associated with doing so?
15. Would you like a meal provided for you? Any notes or dietary restrictions on that meal?
16. What breaks should be factored into the timeline?
17. Is it extra to go to additional locations on the day?
18. Do you prefer shooting indoors or outdoors?
19. Are there extra costs to receive my images on a flash drive?
20. If the package you are choosing includes an album, ask to see examples of a few albums.
21. What was your worst wedding and what made it the worst?
22. Do you have to order your prints exclusively through them, or can you get the high resolution files from them to print elsewhere.
23. Do the photographers plan to use your images for marketing/promotion materials?
24. If you want to have your wedding submitted to blogs or magazines, ask them if they have any experience getting published.
25. What is your postponement/cancellation policy?
Questions to ask your DJ:
1. Have you worked at our venue before? Any pros/cons we should consider?
2. How do you work with us to craft a playlist?
3. Are you comfortable making announcements and being the emcee for the evening?
4. How would you describe your DJ style? (Mix, Play the Song All the way thru, etc)
5. Do you have lapel mics for the ceremony and wireless mics for the toasts?
6. What are your current favorite dance songs?
7. Should a tree fall on your head and you are unable to DJ our wedding, what is your back up plan?
8. If your equipment suffers a malfunction, do you have back up gear?
9. Do you take requests day-of?
10. How familiar are you with our prefered music styles (country, top 40, oldies etc)
11. Are there going to be additional set up charges (because the venue doesn't have an elevator). Or are there additional charges for multiple set up's. (ceremony, cocktail hour, reception)
12. Do you have enough gear to allow for multiple setups and smooth transitions between them?
13. Do you need breaks that we need to schedule?
14. Do you need a meal? Any food restrictions?
15. What was your least favorite wedding and what made it so?
16. If we run late and need to extend your time day-of, is that a possibility? What is the charge per additional hour?
17. What does your set up entail? Do you provide lighting etc?
18. Do you need a table/linen or do you provide your own? If you do need tables/linens, what size tables do you need?
19. What else should we know?
20. What is your postponement/cancellation policy?
Questions to ask your CATERER:
1. Are you a licensed and insured caterer and will you be able to provide proof of that to my venue?
2. How would you describe your food style?
3. How many weddings have you catered? How long have you been in business?
4.Would you say your strength is your food or your service?
5. What is the average size of the events you cater?
6. How many weddings/events do you typically do in one day?
7. What is your policy on providing a tasting before we book?
8. Have you catered at our venue before? Any challenges/hurdles we should be aware of.
How many hours before our ceremony starts do you like to arrive?
9. Are there additional charges for table and chair set up?
10. Are there additional charges for removing trash/recycling?
11. Are there additional charges for setting the table?
12. Do you provide staff for bussing the tables?
13. How many service staff do you think I need for my guest count at my venue?
14. Do you have licensed bartenders to serve alcohol at our wedding? Are we able to
provide alcohol for you to serve? If so, is there a corkage fee?
15. Should I have a second bar with my guest count. Any additional charges for that?
16. Will your staff cut, plate and serve our wedding cake? Any additional fees for that?
17. If there is left over food, are we able to take that home?
18. What are the most popular items on your menu?
19. Will your staff light the candles on the tables?
20. What are your service fees?
21. Are there any taxes that will be on my bill?
22. Any tips for lowering my catering costs?
23. What is your postponement/cancellation policy?
Questions to ask your FLORIST:
1. What style of floral design do you specialize in?
2. Can I see a portfolio of your work?
3. Are you familiar with our ceremony and reception spaces? Do you have any venue specific floral decor ideas?
4. Do you rent vases, or will we be purchasing the vases/containers?
5. Are you able to come and pick up the vases/strike floral the night of?
6. What seasonal flowers do you recommend we use in order to save money?
7. When will you deliver the bouquets and arrangements?
8. Is there a fee for delivery/set up/strike (clean up)?
9. Are there any challenges you foresee with my vision?
10. What can we re-purpose to maximize my budget?
11. What is the average floral budget of your clients?
12. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for improving my vision?
13. What is your postponement/cancellation policy?